Sign in to follow this  
Razordagawd

NP Scroll mysteriously disappeared again?

As of right now, neither of us knows what could've triggered that.

- Nothing else in use shares with it to possibly override it (even if they could, since it's a buff they'd just fail).
- It's detecting it correctly as a buff, so it's not a cure mistakenly removing it.
- Doesn't appear to have been caused by a daylight savings time change (little late for that, presumably).
- The time on the scroll is indeed an hour, so it's not a rounding issue.
- It's persistent, so it should ultimately be immune to everything but removals and expirations (there are no debuffs for this type) -- it can only have expired or been cancelled.

Will be adding additional logging to better track this stuff, but for now all I can say is we'll just have to see what happens in the future.

I've added a bunch of additional logging to the server for skills in general (and making a lot more of it enabled by default, instead of having it being opt-in for troubleshooting purposes), and added logging specifically for persistent buffs.

So after today's restart, if this (or something similar) happens again give us a shout so we can go track down logs for it. :)

14 minutes ago, Razordagawd said:

Meh tbh I was hoping Aesteris showed up saying I was lying because this time I got it on video lmao.

What video?

Also all I got from his reply was that there's nothing else we can really do about it since there's no other info present, not that you were lying; the chances of us finding out how this was caused are very minimal considering the last time you reported this was a year ago.

Having the logs available for the next time this does happen will help, but at the same time if it happens so rarely, we might not find what caused it until another year down the track.

Edited by twostars

36 minutes ago, Razordagawd said:

One that I'm recording. I caught the scroll disappearing right after death at EMC (invasion).

Interesting. Make sure you test changing zones & relogging, just to be sure it's the same thing.

Random thought: Were you transformed at any point?

With better logs in place, we should be able to see exactly what's happening (if it happens again), but for now I can just theorise.
Also, I assume you'll share that video when you can? That would also very much help.

1 hour ago, twostars said:

Random thought: Were you transformed at any point?

With better logs in place, we should be able to see exactly what's happening (if it happens again), but for now I can just theorise.
Also, I assume you'll share that video when you can? That would also very much help.

Nope, no transforms were used.

Too lazy to upload, basically I was right outside elmorad gates, shooting some mages, then I got distracted and every orc turned on me, along some archers too.

Respawned at elmorad castle town, np scroll was gone.

2 minutes ago, Razordagawd said:

Nope, no transforms were used.

Too lazy to upload, basically I was right outside elmorad gates, shooting some mages, then I got distracted and every orc turned on me, along some archers too.

Respawned at elmorad castle town, np scroll was gone.

The scroll was only removed on respawn? Are you able to trim that to before you die (whenever you still have the scroll) & respawn and upload that?

At any point during that (full) video do you check how long's left on it? Or is it perhaps used during that? (maybe you applied it at the same time as the other buffs, but either way I'd be curious if the duration ever desynced with them)

Anyway, about the video all I can really say is this:

1. The buffs themselves are removed on death. The icons for the persistent buffs are not removed visually though, so we still see those.
At this point, your NP scroll is still visible (but technically it's removed, as with the others).

2. When you respawn all buffs & their icons are actually removed in the client. 
This is surprising and dumb behaviour, because I wanted to optimise behaviour slightly so that when you die, the persistent buffs aren't even removed at all, removing the need to be selectively saying "hey, since it's a persistent buff on death I actually don't want you to remove the icon, but y'know, everything else is fine"... which would then mean we also wouldn't need to recast these immediately afterwards on respawn...
Alas, we can't do this because the client is stupid. Not without removing that from the client, and I have no idea if that would cause any unintended side-effects. For now this is not overly relevant, I'm only stating this just to break down how these are actually working (despite what it appears to do).

Regarding your NP scroll, this is why this gets removed here (as does every other icon, which we don't see because of 3-).

3. Immediately after we confirm the respawn (where the client forcefully removed all icons), we recast all persistent buffs.
As it's quick, from your perspective you don't even notice any change other than the NP scroll being removed. But this happened previously, because of the reset.

For some reason that's yet to be established, your NP scroll didn't get recast. And more than this, it no longer persists because it either failed to apply and removed it... or it didn't bother attempting to reapply because it's no longer in the list of persistent buffs to recast.

--

It's interesting, because the buff does seem to be active prior to your death, so it's not exactly silently removed server-side while still showing as existing. So it should still exist at that point.
Yet on the other hand, when they fail to apply, they usually say so in the info box. It is possible there are cases where they do not, but it's a stab in the dark to figure out why that would be.
Particularly considering there's nothing special about the buff in the first place, and clearly your other similar buffs were recast just fine.

We'll probably just have to wait for this to reoccur, because it still doesn't really help too much with regards to actually identifying why it's not being recast.
If it's failing, it'll be logged. And if it's not, all modifications to them are logged, so we should be able to see what it's doing.

Casted it at the beginning of the invasion, and as seen in the video, there were 48 mins left on it. It's impossible that it could have expired before.

I didn't understand much of the post, but the np bonus was not active, in case you are implying it was a visual bug.

Any news about the skill bar thing? And can I get my np scroll back?