Sign in to follow this  
fluffykitten

Having issues with server lag?

Apex Knight Online, 11/7/2018 Consistent server lag from the United States, you can see as my character rubber bands and jets off to a different location. It has gotten to the point where it's almost unplayable. I usually average between 60~90fps, but when I get the lag spikes it drops down to around 40. I have a 150mbp/s internet connection with a fx 6300 / 8gb / Gtx 770. I just upgraded my internet from 30 mbp/s to 150mbp/s, I haven't had these issues in the past on this server, but now I am. I don't think it's just the haloween event either, as when the cuff binders are gone, it still lags. I don't want to quit, but if I lag this badly I don't have a choice.. :(

https://youtu.be/gc_cgxPYE9g

That is 100% the spawns in the area loading in as you cross into an adjacent region. I'd be interested to see it when there's none.

FYI, this behaviour isn't server lag. This is the client lagging because it performs terribly.
Server lag wouldn't freeze the client like that; you'd just see people stop/stutter and/or speed back into place.

This is the client dealing with a ton of extra updates that it can't deal with concurrently while rendering; it has to do it before rendering, so it freezes the client when dealing with too much at a time.

Edited by twostars

2 hours ago, twostars said:

That is 100% the spawns in the area loading in as you cross into an adjacent region. I'd be interested to see it when there's none.

FYI, this behaviour isn't server lag. This is the client lagging because it performs terribly.
Server lag wouldn't freeze the client like that; you'd just see people stop/stutter and/or speed back into place.

This is the client dealing with a ton of extra updates that it can't deal with concurrently while rendering; it has to do it before rendering, so it freezes the client when dealing with too much at a time.

I have the same issue. Now that you explained what causes this, is there any solution that we could try? 

If it's only happening on region swaps, I can increase the region sizes back to how they were but there'd be bigger freezes, just less often.

When the Halloween event is over things should get back to normal I think, but while it's a thing I'll see if there's anything I can do to improve the client's performance. I'm not sure what exactly it's choking on, but if it's choking on processing lots of packets I might be able to spread out processing over multiple frames.

If it's more to do with rendering of new objects (perhaps loading them from file each time), I don't know if there's much I can do with the official client. Having precaching enabled is probably the best we can do, but even then those things are probably still loaded on-demand anyway... and it'll be more to do with building the collision meshes etc rather than just the file reads.

I'll try to figure out what exactly it's choking on, while it's still a thing.

When it freezes in the video, you are indeed on the edges of regions, and there's a bunch of Cuff Binders loading in on the other side when you cross over (mostly it'll be the arbitrary Pumpkin Lanterns floating around too though).
Testing it here in similar conditions the freezing isn't anywhere near that bad, but I'm assuming (and hoping) my PC is powerful enough to mitigate a lot of this nonsense (even with the debugger active). It doesn't seem to be a result of the packer either; using the client as you guys do seems to behave exactly the same in terms of performance.

From what I can see it doesn't appear to be a result of movement spam, it definitely only ever happens when loading in stuff, which could either be the fact it's sending a bunch of data (perhaps more at once than it's used to? perhaps even slow decompression) or having to load/render a bunch of new objects.

It's a little difficult to debug without access to their source code but I'll do my best to narrow it down. It would be ideal to improve this for future, even though typically this isn't really an issue without the increased spawns in the area.

So I'll look into hooking it so I can monitor if it's processing too many packets in one frame. I can do something about that, at least, if that's what's truly happening.

2 hours ago, fluffykitten said:

Thanks for looking in to it, even when the entire bowl is practically empty I am still experiencing the issues.

Pumpkin Lanterns are still spread out and not all of them may be visible (being on the outside of the bowl, while you're inside). There's typically still a lot of spawns even when it looks empty.